Wednesday, March 09, 2005

You talk about "juiced" balls...

House panel issues 11 steroids subpoenas

I can't wait for baseball season. Both because, well, I love baseball, and I am so dang tired of all this steroid talk. I think that people like Jose Canseco is just taking advantage of the time of year. People are so ready for baseball to return that the talk is usually of every little injury and transactions that occurred during the last 4 months. Canseco just gave them something new to talk about. Let's just play ball and worry about executing that squeeze bunt and not who was with who doing what in bathroom stalls...

- First of all, Jose Canseco is an idiot.
- Having said that, Canseco is also everything that everyone is saying about him. Greedy, Self-absorbed, delusional, Angry, and even honest. He can certainly be a jerk and a snitch while telling the truth. I haven't read the book, nor do I plan to. I hope he makes enough money off of all of this, because he is certainly playing his last ace. I hope that money can buy him some friends too....
- So the government is getting involved and will get to the truth for the people....why? What does this have to do with my congressman working for me? Aren't we trying to wrap up a war? Isn't Social Security in trouble? ... When it comes down to it, sports is entertainment. I don't think there is a congressional committee on a fact finding mission to seek out all the fake boobs in Hollywood (not officially anyway). I can understand fans wondering about the hallow records books being tainted (I don't think any asterisks are needed, btw), but what is this suppose to accomplished?
- The truth is, the government does not have any evidence of wrong doing, unless you count Mr. Canseco's book. MLB did not start testing until 2003 (do they still have those samples?). Simply asking some players if they used steroids isn't going to shed any new light on the subject. I think everyone has accepted that players used steroids. So they want to know exactly which players were using and who wasn't? Good luck. Let's try and be more strict, learn a lesson from this, and move on. I'd rather watch Schilling drill A-Rod, and the government can go after the track and field folks. That's where the chemistry labs excel...

No comments: