Sunday, January 05, 2014

Home screen evolution

A little late, but I've been seeing people post a pic of their phone home screen on 1/1/14 as a way to see how their app usage evolves over the years. I thought that might be cool and wish I had done it sooner. I have had an iPhone for 6 years now and to see what has made the cut of making the home screen sounds like fun. I don't know about you, but I definitely am one of those people who think long and hard before an app gets "promoted" to first page status. It's just natural to see and use that app the most, so I want to be sure it's something I really care about. So without further ado:


Nothing real revolutionary, so it probably doesn't need a ton of explanation. I play with a lot of social apps (hence the folder) and Evernote makes the page partly because I am trying to force myself to use it more. Oh and I notice my Apple iPhone is getting more and more Google-ized too. I like to think I don't have a brand allegiance as much as wanting to use whatever is good.

The other interesting thing is asking yourself what the first app you open when you wake up in the morning. That's not only a sign of a good app but a vital one. And probably also changes over the years. If I asked myself this in years past I would say anything from email to weather to Facebook. But currently, I would say it's Instagram. It encourages my amateur photography aspirations while connecting me with a lot of interesting people. I like it a lot! But enough to have the same answer next year? Guess we will have to see...

What are your essential apps?

2 comments:

nicole said...

such an interesting idea. although i don't have an iphone for a phone...i call my hand-me-down iphone my instagrammer!

Unknown said...

Haha well that just means you have a glorify iPod touch. Who uses their smartphones as a phone anymore anyway? Same idea.. or your iPad. What are your essential apps on that?