Tuesday, November 30, 2004

When lazy cheapskates attack...

I'm getting a new dishwasher tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. I don't even do the dishes that often (I'm a lucky husband). I am now always looking for ways to not make anymore dirty dishes (maybe I should move into 5824, I hear Jason does all the dishes there). We have always used paper plates for various little things, but I try to keep that to a minimum as well because they can get expensive if you keep buying them. So my natural laziness and my practical Chinese upbringing collided, which brings me to this evening's tale....

I was hungry shortly before bed so I made myself a Hot Pocket (Croissant Pocket, actually...do they just wrap up anything and eat it nowadays? I'm waiting for the arrival of Air Pocket - now with 50% more oxygen!). We were out of our regular paper plates so I used a small paper plate left over from my daughter's birthday party. The Pocket, while breathtaking, didn't quite satisfy. I went back into the kitchen to ponder what else I could whip up quickly. I threw my plate away and looked in the fridge. I rummaged through the Thanksgiving leftovers (ironically, no turkey) and decided on some mash potatos. I took the potatos out and then realized my conumdrum: My plate has been disposed! I actaully stood in my kitchen and stared into the garbage can and wondered if it was ok to pull the plate out to be used again. "It's not so dirty in there" and "It's not touching any other garbage" were just a few of my yucky thoughts. My senses returned though as I pulled out another Winnie the Pooh plate and had a big helping of sour cream mashed potatoes...how sad...

It will be sad to see my old dishwasher go. It had so much character. It's older than I am, it's extremely loud, it doesn't seem to use all of the soap that I put in, and best of all, it has wood paneling to "match" the rest of my kitchen....who am I kidding, that thing is crap. Long live new dishwasher!!

No comments: