Thursday, January 27, 2005

On the trail of good eats...

(In honor of the upcoming February sweeps, I am going to have a stunt of my own. You got to do what you got to do for rating, right? Gary Coleman wasn't available, so stunt casting was out. I decided to go with the second most used trick in the book - the crossover epidsoe. So in this multi-part post, you will also have to read the posts at...my other site! Shameless, I know...)

So I mentioned before that I watch pieces of a lot of shows. A regular stop of mine is the Food Network. Watching it has actual made me go and try some cooking on my own...Now some quick background (imagine the screen going squiggly and that whole flashback music....). My whole family cooks...except me. My parents are chinese, and they cook. My dad has worked at various restaurants doing various things for a long time and has learned a whole lot about cooking (ask my family, my friends, everyone likes to eat at my parents). My sister picked it up somewhere along the line and now she is the Martha Stewart of the family (er...without the conviction record)...I think being in that kind of environment just made learning how to cook...unnecessary.

When you hang out with my sister enough, you are bound to watch a lot of Food Network though. At first thought, I was like "That looks good, sis. Make me some of that." Then I discovered Good Eats...

Good Eats appeals to a lot of non-cooks, especially guys, like me. Alton Brown makes cooking so practical, so scientific. Instead of following instructions in a recipe, I now also know the whys of the steps. It makes cooking less about being a cook and more just using good scientific know how to produce food that taste good. I'm all about simple and delicious food. Anyway that show is great, and I'm getting hungry...

...on the part II...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's cool when you mess up links to your own site :)
-Tim

Unknown said...

hmm I was in a hurry to post this so that I can get to the events of part III. It's kind of like when they shot Back to the Future II and III at the same time. I'll have to hire an intern to do some quality control...